W+M 045: An Interview with Rebecca Holland
Rebecca Holland is a freelance writer based in Chicago. She writes about travel and food for USA Today, Roads & Kingdoms, New City Chicago, and other publications, and works as a copywriter for travel brands. When not writing for other people, she blogs about travel at www.curiosityandacarryon.com. In this episode I get all the details about what it takes to be a freelance travel writer. Whether you want to make extra money on the side or turn it into a full-time job, Rebecca shares how to get free press trips and even get paid to travel through the career that she has built for herself.
Listen to the show:
What we talk about:
- Rebecca shares her story about living and working abroad.
- How Rebecca didn't really think about money or save the money she made in the early days of her career.
- Rebecca's morning routine.
- Best money habits that add up over time.
- Favorite travel destination.
- How long it takes to write a post.
Takeaway: Becoming a Travel Writer
- What Rebecca would do as first steps if she had to start over today.
- What she recommends for what kind of blog freelance writers should start for proof and portfolio examples in regards to their topic.
- Can you be a travel writer for a place you have never been?
- How to travel for free in order to be a travel writer through tourism boards and PR companies.
- Crafting the perfect pitch to write for your dream website, magazine and brand.
- Biggest challenges for maintaining a freelance writer business.
- Biggest challenges for working on the road as a travel writer.