W+M 034: An Interview with Lauren Bowling
Lauren Bowling is an ex-actor and reformed shopaholic turned finance blogger and business owner. Her message to anyone out there is this, "If I can go from financial sh*t show, to a financially independent adult, you definitely can." Her blog is LBeeandTheMoneyTree.com where she shares her journey from financial mess to financial success. In this episode, Lauren and I dive into the pros and cons of homeownership and the home buying process. We talk about what to expect when applying for a mortgage loan, and Lauren shares some of the challenges she personally faced in purchasing a home.
Listen to the show:
What we talk about:
- Lauren shares her money story and who influenced her money habits growing up.
- What Lauren has noticed after being a financial blogger and how money conversations happen a lot more casually with her now that she writes about finance.
- Moving to New York to become an actor with a lot of debt and having to get a desk job.
- Be proactive and be empowered to go out and get the financial education you need.
- Think in terms of money abundance instead of money scarcity. - How to make more money.
- Be gentle with yourself - even if you just do one thing a day or a week to mind and tend to your finances - it's a step in the right direction.
Takeaway: What You Need to Know About Buying a Home
- Pros and Cons of Renting vs. Buying
- The homeownership lifestyle
- First steps to take when you're ready to buy a home.
- All the costs that go into buying a home (other than the cost of the home, itself)
- Organizing your information
- Ask questions! You may not know what to ask or what to look for so be very curious, Google questions or ask parents and friends. Do your homework.
- Budgeting for basic things.
- Lauren's experience with buying a fixer-upper.
- How to Buy a Home in Your 20s - Lauren's blog post