W+M 036: An Interview with Carrie Smith Nicholson
Carrie Smith Nicholson is the voice behind the Careful Cents brand, a community of solopreneurs and freelancers who are committed to building life-centered businesses. Carrie is a successful freelance business writer and uses her experience to educate others on how to become a freelancer. In this interview, we heavily focus on learning all about the freelance world from Carrie and how to go about finding clients, pricing your services, and more.
Listen to the show:
What we talk about:
- Carrie shares her money story on how she utilized money to be in control of her life.
- Credit card debt and how Carrie got out of it, even through a divorce.
- Handling not having a steady paycheck and building up an emergency savings for your business.
- How to treat your money situation the way that it is, not the way you wish it should be.
- Carrie has 15+ bank accounts! (She beat my 7 Savings Accounts.)
- Be the boss of your money, your business, and yourself.
Takeaway: Earn Extra Income by Freelancing
- How earning extra income through freelancing saved Carrie's life.
- The different ways you can be a freelancer - What freelancing is
- Take a lateral transition to figure out what you can offer with a freelancing gig.
- How to find your first clients.
- How to price your freelance services (especially when you're just starting out).
- How Carrie manages working with her clients.
- Using a community to quit your job and take your freelancing full-time.
- CarefulCents.com - No More Job Boards Free Training
- Asana - Task Management System
- Personal Capital - Financial Management Tool
- Digit.co - Automatic Savings App
- Carrie's Facebook Group - The Careful Cents Club
- Make Money Your Honey - Amanda Abella
- Budgets and Cents Podcast
- This show is sponsored by PrepDish - Meal Planning for under $2 per week!