W+M 026: An Interview with Cait Flanders
Cait Flanders is the blogger behind Blonde on a Budget (now CaitFlanders.com). Cait started her blogging journey to document her debt repayment. She had $28,000 of consumer credit card debt and actually shares a little bit (or maybe a lot a bit) of her story with us. After paying off her debt, Cait adopted a minimalist lifestyle where she gave away 75% of her things and commenced a two year shopping ban which will be wrapping up this July. Learn all about it in this episode!
Listen to the show:
What we talk about:
- The story behind Blonde on a Budget (Now caitflanders.com)
- How Cait racked up $28,000 of debt and what state of mind she was in when she realized something needed to change.
- The first step she took to reverse the consumer debt trap she was in.
- How the Shopping Ban began.
- We talk about why we shop and how to flip our mindset when shopping.
- Cait's post on why she's Moving Into Her Car this year.
- Killing the Pinterest generation.
- Cait answers the Quick and Dirty Q&A:
- Flipping the belief and start living on less and save the rest.
- Know that minimum payments (from your credit card) will catch up with you.
Takeaway: How To Get Started on Living Minimally
- Start with one round of decluttering
- Do one drawer at a time and be extremely vigilent
- Put stuff in 3 piles: Keep, Donate, Throw Away
- For consuming things going forward:
- Just really pause and question every purchase you're going to make and everything you're going to consume rather than act on impulse.
- Question yourself: Is this adding value to my life? How does this make me feel? Do I really want this?